Translate

Thursday, January 17, 2013

I was going through some older photos from last year when I came across this one of my friend
Greg Pickering.

Greg Pickering with  an Amberjack.
The story behind the picture is this, Greg found a small lump on an old chart and plotted the lat and long then punched it into his hand held GPS. He called me and asked if I was interested in looking at a lump that was 87km yes that's right 87km offshore. I said that I was and started packing my gear to leave that afternoon. The plan was to drive to our launch site and camp on the beach overnight, then check on the weather forecast first thing before making a final decision on whether to go or not. We drove up with Rob Ernst and camped overnight then departed at around 5am the next morning. We found the lump without a problem after traveling for nearly 3 hours and were eager to jump in. On entering the water we were met by reasonable visibility and plenty of fish of all types. We each landed a few good fish and when Greg dived for the last time I knew he was on a good fish by the length of time he was under. When he surfaced he had the Amberjack in his hands, and as is so often his style it was Stoned!!!. We sorted our gear out and started on the 3 hour journey back to the beach. When we arrived on dry land we weighed the fish and Greg was very happy to see it was a new Western Australian State record of 37.75kg.
We have not revisited the lump as yet but we plan to and who knows what we will find when we do, it just goes to show what is possible when the weather and planning all come together for that one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment