Translate

Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Grey Suited Taxman strikes.

I had Planned to go out to The FAD's on Friday with Simon, Darnie and Olivier but the wind was not very kind to us and we ended up out at Rottnest instead. We dived the Northwest end of the island in 2 spots and came up blank. With the wind dropping a little we decided to try the Southwest end instead and moved the boat. After getting a good berley trail going we started to see a few fish first off a lone Mackerel then a pair, one of which Olivier managed to land. Then a school of maybe 20 fish ranging between 15-35kg swam directly beneath me. I grabbed a quick breath and dived directly on top of a large fish. I silently dropped down slightly to one side of the fish and lined up a good holding shot right in the middle and fired. My gun was instantly torn out of my hand and I realized I had got a muzzle wrap. Thankfully I had clipped my gun on to my belt reel and the reel squealed, paying out line as the fish tore off into the distance. Then the reel jammed up dragging me through the water, thankfully I had about 30 meters of line out and was able to swim to the surface. The fish then put on a massive power run and right on its tail was a big Grey Nurse Shark about 3 meters long. I didn't have the reel sorted out yet and could not let the fish run freely, this gave the shark the advantage and it grabbed the fish and chomped off about 2ft of its tail. Darnie had also speared a fish from the same school and the shark turned it's attention to his fish giving me a chance to secure mine before it could take another bite. Once it realized my fish was getting away it gave up on Darnie's fish and came back for some more of mine but was too late, I already had hold of the fish and was not giving it up.

Darnie landed his fish no problem and then added a small Kingfish to the boat. We saw 2 more sharks that afternoon a Hammerhead and a Tiger Shark both about 3mt long but they gave us no trouble. Both had a bit of a look at my flasher but that was all the interest they paid us.


Shortly after 1pm the wind changed and started blowing from the Southwest, signaling it was time to head towards home.

No comments:

Post a Comment