Translate

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A nice relaxing day on the water.

After not being able to find anyone to dive with for over a week I decided stuff it I am going out anyway. The weather looked reasonable with very light winds forecast all day, so after dropping my son at school I hitched up the boat and went. I launched at Ocean Reef Marina and a short 20 minutes later was trying to secure some Buff for berley. I bumped into a small Whaler Shark in the whitewash and he bolted as soon as he saw me. So after securing 3 buff and seeing nothing else of note I headed to a deeper ledge to try and berley up a Mackerel or 2.
After seeing nothing at all for over an hour I decided to move to another spot and try and get a WA Jewfish for dinner. So once moved I commenced to berley up again, within 5 minutes I had a reasonable sized Samson swimming in the Berley trail. Another 5 minutes and I had a large Samson join in on the action, so I decided I would take the larger one of the 2. My neighbors love making fish curry and had asked me for a Samson next time I saw one, this fish would suit them perfectly.
After a short but spirited fight I had the fish landed and in the boat, next thing was a Jewfish for myself. I swam along a sand edge where I quite often see them and sure enough I found 3 staking out a small gully.
Two of them would not make the legal size of 50cm  but the 3rd would for sure, so I silently dropped down on the fish and secured him with a well placed shot. A nice Jewfish and bottle of wine for diner, what more could one ask for, Oh yeah someone to dive with.

Samson Fish and Jewfish.




No comments:

Post a Comment