Translate

Sunday, December 09, 2012

King George Whiting

I have been spending the last few days sorting through some of my GoPro footage and found these. The first is a perfect example of the body posture a King George Whiting adopts just before it bolts. Notice the position of the tail relative to the body at the 53 second mark. King George Whiting are notoriously hard to get close to, and for me the best angle is from directly above. When chasing Whiting I like to use a 1200 Rail Gun fitted with a reel and a single 20mm band and a 5/16" shaft with a 6 barb Pranger . I find this combination to be the ideal length for maneuverability, yet it can still handle most chance encounters with larger fish such as Western Australian Dhufish that often favor the same ground as King George Whiting. I find the ideal water depth to be around 12 meters as this allows me to see the fish but still be far enough away that the fish is not aware of you.


The second is an example of how hard these fish can be to spot over the sand, I often see a give away shadow before I can make out the actual fish.



No comments:

Post a Comment